Thursday 20 October 2011

Positive Thinking

Recently I feel like I've been surrounded by people who are preaching (and practicing!) the importance of positive thinking. I have always believed that positive thinking has an impact on physical health and general wellbeing. I also think that if you believe strongly in something it will work out somehow but I'm not sure to which extent I would take this.

My new manager is a big advocate for positive thinking. She told us about how she decided to apply for this job and then surrounded herself with positive thoughts and the strong belief that she will get the post. In the end this helped her to be confident in the interview and she, of course, got the job. When I asked her how she would have felt if she didn't get it, after building herself up for so long ... Her response was "I would have said it wasn't meant to be." She has a vibrant personality and had us all laughing telling us about the whole process including her vision board and seeing the color pink wherever she went. At first it was a laugh and an interesting story but later it got me thinking about what she said.

There were a couple of other occasions when she brought up positive thinking when it came to working with the residents and even when it came to dealing with our emotions towards our roles. It has had an impact on my daily working day and has made me want to explore all of this a bit more.

My friends, who are currently staying with us, are also big advocates for positive thinking. Vaida (http://www.curioussoul.com/) has followed Louise Hay (http://www.louisehay.com/)  and Science of Mind (http://www.scienceofminduk.org/)  a number of years and more recently has been getting herself involved by going to workshops, meditations, and courses. It is interesting to talk through ideas with her and Huw (http://www.degales.com/) and try to figure out where my ideas and understanding fit in. (Sorry about all the links! I want you to be able to expore too!)

To be honest I haven't read enough to have a full grasp on the concepts of positive thinking and specific ideologies that do contribute or advocate for it. I do know that at the moment I struggle with being able to accept certain aspects but I want to read and learn more before hashing those out in writing.

My manager told us about a website http://www.innerspace.org.uk/ that has a thought of the day to help you to explore yourself on a daily basis. This organization also does free courses and workshops. I signed up for my first lecture which I'll be going to tomorrow. It's called Believe in Yourself- Reclaiming your Self Esteem. Although I know it does sound a bit cheesy and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I feel that I really need more insight in this area, I'm excited to try something new. I think it's time for some true self-reflection and learning to change my negative ways of thinking about myself and the world around. I guess I see this as a start of the journey to become the happy girl I once was and I'm willing to explore different ideas to get there. I'll let you know what I think of it!

1 comment:

  1. I am a strong believer in the benefits of positive thinking and I hope that your exploration leads you into believing it as well. Being surrounded by postive people makes it easier to be a postive person too so you should look to your friends and coworkers as role model.

    ReplyDelete