Saturday 8 October 2011

writing a novel.. the challenge.

I have so many ideas in my head and I want to move forward with different interests but never seem to move very far forward. I was talking with my little sister last night and said something about wanting to write. She told me that she, my brother, and my mom all have similar dreams. Even to the point of making bets about who will be published first. It's not surprising considering the values of education and reading my mom instilled in us, all four of us kids and my mom are avid readers.

My sister told me about a challenge that she is pushing my mom to do. It's called National Novel Writing Month and the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. From what I gather, it's the quantity and not quality that counts and its purpose is to get you writing without getting lost in the editing and tearing apart. The website is: http://www.nanowrimo.org/  I like the idea behind it and want to give it a try. The one part I'm leery of is uploading your novel at the end to be counted... as I don't think I'm trusting enough for that.

So let's see how it goes...and if it is even possible to write so many words while trying to study and working full time.. but I'm staying positive and not going to count myself out before I've started!

On a side note... I feel sad about missing out on so much with my family but am proud to come from such a creative and inspiring background. It also reminded me of how supportive my parents and siblings have always been and remember this when trying to find my confidence again.

2 comments:

  1. Novel challenge! sound exciting! I would like to read your novel:) And may be could even be tempted to attempt to write one myself during the middle of the night feeds:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are seriously thinking about this. It will probably be very hard and demanding, but there is really nothing to lose in attempting this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete