Sunday 4 March 2012

Million Women Rise

When I woke up in the morning I wasn't sure what to expect of the day. I was excited for a new experience and to see friends I don't get to see very often. When we rounded the corner and saw so many women getting ready I was interested but confused and still unsure of my feelings about the whole thing. After meeting a couple women I've met through work, unexpectedly running into an old friend, and meeting the friends I was expecting and excited to see I was beginning to get in the mood for the march. But it was the moment that a group of women behind us started playing the drums that I truly felt the exhilaration and anticipation of the march....



Walking through the streets of London with the drums, the banners, the chants, and women from all different backgrounds was a truly unique experience. There were so many people interested in what was going on and tourists shouting or clapping in solidarity. I felt part of a community and inspired to be able to raise awareness about a cause that means so much to me. Million Women Rise is annual march to end violence against women. It is unique in that it is collaborative and not led by particular women's charities or organizations. It is protesting against domestic, sexual, and honour-based violence, FGM, the objectification of women, and human rights issues across the globe. The Million Women Rise march combines groups or individual women who are passionate about any or all of these issues.


Over the years I've been involved in activism around socioeconomic status, race, sexual orientation, and all sorts of women's issues but this is my first protest/ march. I'm really happy that I did it and that I was surrounded by a supportive partner and great friends. I've written before about wanting to get back into activism and I truly believe that whether it be talking to people, writing, working in a field where you can help people, being active in campaigns, or attending protests or marches that every little bit makes a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment