Thursday 9 June 2011

Half of a Yellow Sun

I'm stealing this idea from a friend of mine... but since I do so much reading I thought maybe I'll share some impressions of some books that I read. Here goes!!

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This book is set in the Nigeria-Biafra war of 1967-1970 and the years leading up to that point. Although this is fiction I always feel that I learn something from books like this. The authors bring history to life with made-up characters and relationships that live a life that was true to many people during that time.

I thought the characters were well rounded and liked that they showed different lifestyles and perceptions of people during that time. I like the believabity and vulnerability of the relationships and thought it was interesting to see how decisions and tragedies affected those dynamics.

I found myself drawn to the relationship of the twin sisters the most. They had such different personalities and I guess that in their differences and struggles to create their relationship as adults reminded me of my own life in some ways.. and puts things in perspective to what is important and what shouldn't be sacraficed.

The story was based on the war time and of course that meant a lot of loss of belongings, homes, jobs, security, and loved ones. I know this is reality and this is based on a true time in Nigeria's history but I do wish it wasn't so sad...

So if I were to rank it 1-10... I would give this book an 8 only because I found parts in the first half of the book a big slow but I'm definitely glad that I stuck with it :)

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that you were attracted by the relationship of the two sisters. For me it felt that the other sister (the one who had a British lover) was not completely revealed by the author, she lacked liveliness, emotions. So I didn't completely understand her.

    I was most interested in the boy's perspective, it's really fascinating the way he perceived everything that he saw and experienced in his 'master's' house. Unfortunately, that was missing in the second part of the book.

    ReplyDelete