Tuesday 12 August 2014

Brighton pride!

We celebrated our second pride in Brighton since moving down from London! This year I made a conscious decision to not take part with my work or my volunteering and just enjoy the day with Lina and our friends. We started the day with a bubbly brunch at Bel and Ella's. They had a few friends visiting and it was good to catch up with people we met at their wedding last summer. We then headed down to see the parade. 





After the parade we had a break in the park then headed to the pub. We had some downtime and some lunch and basically chilled out until the evening. 


We spent the evening outside our favorite pub, the Marlborough, at the street party. There was plenty of dancing, some drinking, and chance meetings with friends. We had a great time with Bel and Ella and their friends, Alex and Elysee, who showed us some new Australian dances :) 





Also thought I should include A couple of my snapchats. One of the only negatives was definitely the bathroom line. 

 

Pride always brings up lots of emotions for me and is usually a huge amount of fun. This day didn't disappoint. We are lucky to be living in Brighton which is definitely the most safe and inclusive place I've been so far. The community spirit is stong and the we are lucky to be in our Lgbt+ bubble. It's important to remember the theme of pride, freedom to live, and how difficult it still is for most of the world- including most of the UK and the USA. I'm also not naive enough to believe that there are not issues around homophobia and transphobia in our little inclusive bubble or there are not issues in the local Lgbt+ community itself. I'm just glad for this day to celebrate who we are and come together as a community to stand up for others who continue to be silenced. 

So here was a bit of our pride celebrations this year and I'm blessed to have great people to spend it with :)

X Becky 


1 comment: